Another one of those “I don’t have enough to say about any one thing to justify multiple posts” post 🙂
1. In an effort to bolster my grad school application, I’ve been trying to find a place to volunteer. Not just any place, though. I want to volunteer at a place that looks good and can help me develop some good skills and/or connections. So instead of the Humane Society, I decided to try the USO. Turns out they only need people to work the midnight-6am shift. Sigh. Back to the drawing board….. Looks like it might be the Humane Society after all.
2. The Rangers are on the edge of elimination. If they don’t win the next two games, they’re out of the playoffs. It’s only the first round, and this is the team that finished second overall in the NHL! They’ve lived on the edge all season with their lack of offense and now it’s catching up to them. Not saying they can’t win the next two games, but the stars need to come to work – something they haven’t really done since game one. This is a Stanley Cup Playoff series, guys, not some throw-away game in October…. (what makes this even worse is that the STL Blues just advanced to round 2, so all around me I have to listen to chatter about how great the Blues are…)
3. I miss the no-lease renting situation I had in NYC. True, I disliked having roommates, but it was nice that I could literally bail with a day’s notice. It’s time for my lease renewal here, and not only did my rent increase (along with them deciding not to include water, sewer, and trash anymore), but I have to sign for a 12 month term, which would run through the end of next June. If I get into grad school this year (which I should know by November or December), then I would start looking for jobs in February or March and be looking to move as soon as I landed one. The cost for breaking my lease is approximately 2.5 month’s rent. Ouch. But if I wait until it runs its course I would have to time my relocation perfectly, and I’m not sure I have that kind of power in this kind of economy. I would try to relocate now, but I don’t think a new employer would look too kindly on my 2 week Japan trip in November…. Oh well, what’s a little money in the long run? Sigh.
4. Speaking of what I miss in NYC, the # 2 thing (#1 is EK, of course :D) is Central Park. Forest Park’s grown on me, but only because there is no real alternative. But trust me, every time I’m physically walking there, I’m mentally walking through Central Park.
5. I still don’t get Emily and Zach. I talked to her last Sunday and she said that she thinks she’s getting closer to convincing him to leave his job and move in with her. At the same time, she’s been taking free tango lessons and hanging out with the single guys in the class on her down time. And apparently Zach’s totally okay with this. Smh. They have an odd dynamic going on. I know better than to give her advice (and, to be fair, if I were in her position I would want other people to butt out too) but I’m not sure if she’s really thought through the financials of supporting someone else with her part-time gig.
6. I’m officially giving up on the online dating thing, at least for the foreseeable future. For one thing, I’d rather meet someone in person. For another, most people online have issues. I don’t mean issues like mine – where I’m on there because I’m just not into the bar/club scene and there’s really nowhere else to meet people around here – but real issues. Sorry, but I don’t do drama and I don’t do 100 pounds of baggage…..
7. 1/2 cup oatmeal made with milk + 1 egg white + 1tsp olive oil = amazing facial that leaves your skin feeling silky soft and smooth the next morning 🙂