Dad’s birthday is on Tuesday, but we’re having family dinner night tonight since it’s just easier for everyone. Dad requested German Chocolate Cake and since my mom dislikes baking while I love it, I volunteered. Now, I could have gone the easy route and spent $5 on Betty Crocker cake mix and frosting, but that would have been wayyyyy too easy. Besides, I think from scratch beats from the box every time . And since it’s for dad, I even included all of the butter and 75% of the sugar 🙂
1 pkg (4oz) Baker’s German Sweet Chocolate
1/2 cup water
2 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup (2 sticks) butter
2 cups sugar (I used 1 cup brown sugar and 1/2 cup white sugar)
4 eggs, separated
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cover bottoms of 3 8″ or 9″ round cake pans with parchment paper (or just butter and flour the pans). Microwave chocolate and water in large microwavable bowl on high until almost melted, stirring after 1 minute. Stir until chocolate is completely melted.
- Mix flour, baking soda and salt, set aside. Beat butter and sugar in large bowl with electric mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy. Add egg yolks, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Blend in melted chocolate and the vanilla. Add flour mixture alternately with the buttermilk, beating until well blended after each addition.
- Beat egg whites in a small bowl with electric mixer on high speed until stiff peaks form. Gently stir into batter. Pour evenly into prepared pans.
- Bake 25-30 minutes or until toothpick inserted in centers comes out clean. Immediately run small metal spatula around cake layers. Cool in pans 15 minutes, remove layers from the pans to wire racks. Discard parchment paper, Cool cake layers completely. Spread coconut-pecan frosting between cake layers and onto top of cake
4 egg yolks
12 oz evaporated milk
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 cups sugar
3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) butter
7 oz coconut
1 1/2 cups chopped pecans
1. Beat egg yolks, milk and vanilla in large saucepan with a wire whisk until well blended. Add sugar and butter and cook on medium heat until thickened and golden brown. Remove from heat (this step took about 15-20 minutes)
2. Add coconut and nuts and mix well. Cool to desired consistency.